The purpose of the Hub Faculty Fellows program is to provide an opportunity to faculty to work on a project that will improve the learning experience at MSU that the faculty member believes will benefit from the culture and connectivity of the Hub for Innovation in Learning and Technology.
The Fellowship is designed to to support the work of the Hub and of the associated faculty member (the Fellow). During the summer, we expect the Fellow to be “in residence” at the Hub on a regular, agreed upon basis (we are flexible). Presence will facilitate the conversations that we believe are necessary to a successful experience. The Fellow’s project will be folded into the Hub’s workflow for the summer in order to facilitate conversation.
Successful topics will address one or more of the following issues:
- Enable the faculty member to initiate a project designed to reimagine a learning experience at MSU.
- Enable the faculty member to work collaboratively to identify opportunities and questions that are tied to the mission of the Hub.
- Help to create an intellectual community interested in student learning.
- Support directed research and development focused on learning with technology.
Proposal Process and Selection as a Fellow
Fellowships are awarded based on the quality and fit of the project project proposal.
We are currently accepting Faculty Fellows applications. If you are interested in becoming a Hub Fellow, please apply here by Friday, March 16, 2018.
The program’s most focused activity will take place during the summer of 2018, but Fellows are encouraged to extend their engagement with the Hub during the 2018-2019 academic year.
Fellow applications must be endorsed by the faculty member’s department chair and dean. We want projects to be aligned with innovation efforts within units. We also ask that units commit to one month of summer salary for each Fellow. We believe that an intensive month of work in the summer followed by a modest effort throughout the year will lead to successful outcomes.
The Hub will commit resources to support needs for projects, such as technology support and/or the allocation of a team to support the Fellow. Those decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the Fellow.
Each Faculty Fellow is responsible for participating with our team to achieve the agreed upon goals of the project. In addition to meeting these agreed upon expectations, we ask that Fellows also:
- Complete a project that speaks to learning and teaching innovation.
- Propose a session for the annual Teaching and Learning Spring Conference.
- Host a Fellows’ Hour session to assist in making connections and spawning new initiatives.
- Contribute to the Hub blog to share work while in progress.
- Participate in the creation of publications or presentations.
- Participate with Hub in an ongoing fashion for the duration of the 12 month appointment in an appropriate way.
- Have fun and share in a collaborative learning environment.